Kavana's Phyto-5 Eczema Balm is rich in hydrating and emollient agents, that may help soothe skin, offer an immediate sensation of comfort and relief, and may assist with the healing of wounds and itchiness brought on by eczema.
Specifically formulated for those suffering from symptoms of eczema, this vegan, non-toxic, all natural balm contains no steroids, retinoids or oat products.
This deeply nourishing balm is plant powered by:
- Phyto 5 Kavana's signature blend of Calendula, Comfrey, Echinacea, Plantain and Rosehip seed oil macerated in Sunflower oil.
- Marshmallow root has been known to exhibit irritation soothing properties (source).
- Non-nano zinc is known to improve skin's permeability and can help keep it dry.
- Neem seed oil has protective, inflammation reducing, anti-fungal properties that may assist with the promotion of quick healing of wounds. (source 1, source 2, Source 3, Source 4).
- Moringa seed oil this oil from the seeds of the Moringa tree,is associated with healing properties demonstrated in its use as treatment of acute and chronic skin diseases. (source) It can help encourage and support cell turnover and has exhibited effectiveness as a treatment for skin diseases that rely on keratinocyte hyperproliferation in cases of acute inflammation. (source).
- Sea-buckthorn oil has a beneficial effect on skin because: it is a strong antioxidant – this oil fights free radicals, rebuilds cells and delays cell ageing, supports wound healing, reduces scars and discolourations, treats dermatoses, eczemas, ulceration, psoriasis, atopic dermatitis, acne, improves skin elasticity and structure, provides appropriate hydration of epidermis, limits excessive water loss, protects against harmful radiation (solar or x-rays), has a regenerative and anti-ageing effect. (source)
- Evening primrose oil may assist with the healing of wounds thanks to Linoleic Acids (Omega-6), γ-Linolenic Acid (Omega-6), Oleic Acid (Omega-9), Palmitic Acid, and Stearic Acid, in it. (source)
- Fair trade shea and cocoa butters. Shea butter possess vitamins and potent anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties (source), and may help alleviate dry skin and help promote collagen and elastin production. Cocoa butter lends it's soft chocolate scent but acts to help harden this balm.
- Basil (Ocimum basilicum) and Yarrow (Achillea millefollium) essential oils. Basil: the complex composition of Ocimum species including Ocimum basilicum, determine it's strongly antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and antiviral activity. (source) In vitro studies have also exhibited Basil essential oil's ability to help in skin cellular regeneration and accelerated wound healing, via spontaneous migration of dermal fibroblasts.(source)
- Yarrow: Traditional and folk medicines of China, Iran, Pakistan and India have used A. millefolium as an antihaemorrhagic, wound (and cuts and abrasions) healing agent and as effective cosmetic soothing for sores, skin disorders (wounds), snakebites, and varicose veins (source).
SKIN TYPE: Ideal for dry, sensitive, normal, combination skin.
GLUTEN-FREE | NON-TOXIC| CRUELTY-FREE | VEGAN | NON-NANO | GMO FREE
Handmade in Toronto, Canada with non-toxic, premium ingredients.
Volume: 40gr/ 1.4oz. and now available in 200gr/ 7oz.
Packaged in a lightweight, recyclable and refillable aluminum tin. Help minimize plastic pollution by choosing Kavana's elegant, easily cleaned and reusable/ recyclable frosted glass and aluminum options.
How to Use
HOW TO USE: Support eczema prone skin with Kavana's specially formulated balm. Application as needed, may assist in the healing of wounds, may provide relief and may help prevent the recurrence of dry, itchy skin, due to eczema.
Always do a patch test on inner wrist or inner elbow for 24 hours before applying to extremely dry or broken skin.
For topical use only. Keep out of reach of children. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
WARNING: This formula is very powerful. Keep it out of eyes, nose, ears, and off of any sensitive or broken, chapped skin. Please consult your physician with any concerns you have prior to using Kavana Phyto-5 Eczema Balm. Do not use Kavana Phyto-5 Eczema Balm if you are pregnant or nursing.
Phyto-5 complexe, powers this formula, specifically formulated to support eczema prone skin.
Marshmallow root (Althaea officinalis): Marshmallow root has a long history in food and folk medicine that dates back to ancient Greek and Egyptian times, even mentioned in Homer's Illiad, written 2800 years ago. The name 'Altha' from the Greek, it's meaning is 'to cure' or variously 'healer'. (source) This curative, “slippery” herb's roots and stem secretes mucilage, which may help provide relief from inflammation, pruritis (itching), redness and chafing by coating and softening skin, can help lower swelling due to it's emollient properties (source, source 2). Tolerable for even allergenic and hypersensitive skin, this cooling, plant-derived glycerin-like extract, has low-concentrations of ceramide precursors, which may help repair the skin barrier. (source)
Shea butter (Botyrospermum parkii): Sensitive skin friendly (source), Shea butter has a profile rich in five principal fatty acids (palmitic, stearic, oleic, linoleic, and arachidic acids) (source)as well as anti-oxidants, phenolic compounds, minerals zinc, magnesium and copper, vitamins A, D, E and F and allantoin and carotene, help make this butter a genuine skin friendly ingredient. (source 1, source 2)
Long used across the African continent, Shea has been used to keep skin inflammation at bay. (source) It may help keep skin from becoming dry, cracked and rough, due to myriad factors like sunlight (UVA and UVB), acne, rashes, bites, burns, scars, stings and/or stretch marks (source). It may also help promote the production of collagen in the skin, thus restoring elasticity and helping prevent premature facial lines and wrinkles, by promoting cell renewal. Hydrating, softening and beautifying, this is an essential botanical for skin.
Zinc Oxide: Zinc oxide is known for its antibacterial properties from the time immemorial (source). It had been in use during the regime of Pharaohs, and historical records show that zinc oxide was used in many ointments for the treatment of injuries and boils even in 2000 BC. (source)
Zinc is an indispensable inorganic metallic element occurring naturally in our bodies bones, teeth, enzymes and many functional proteins. It is also found in the air, water and soil. When it is heated along with oxygen and when both elements have completely evaporated, the vapour phase condenses into crystals and the result is Zinc Oxide: a fine, white powder. (source)
When applied topically onto skin, it works by forming a barrier on top of the skin, protecting the area from moisture and irritants.(source) It may help support eczema prone skin, as it has been known to exhibit anti-prurits (itching), burn soothing, anti-inflammatory, anti-redness, anti-dryness/chafing, anti-peeling and pain inhibiting properties. (source) It is known to exhibit antimicrobial properties, interfering with metabolic functions of the microbes causing their death. (source)
Evening Primrose oil (Oenothera biennalis): Native Americans have used evening primrose for healing purposes for millenia. It's leaves were used for minor wounds and sore throats, while the entire plant was used as a potential support in bruise healing.
Modern medicine recommends the oil extract from evening primrose seeds in supplements for those with eczema, as it has been known to exhibit soothing and moisturizing properties for dry, inflamed skin, and may improve skin texture by nourishing rough, scaly areas. Its healing benefits may be due to its high gamma-linoleic acid (GLA) content. GLA is an omega-6 fatty acid with potent anti-inflammatory properties. (source)
Sea Buckthorn Seed oil: Possibly one of the most valuable natural products in the world, Sea buckthorn seed oil has over 200 ingredients which ensure that the oil has a multi directional effect. (source). It is packed with 12 times more Vitamin C than an orange, omegas 3,6, 7 and 9, more Vitamin E (d- alpha tocopherol) than any other plant based oil source)
Beta carotene along with other nutrients and phyto-nutrients in Sea buckthorn seed oil, may help to guard skin against free-radical damage. (source) Because inside the skin the gamma-linolenic acid in Sea Buckthorn is converted to prostaglandins, sea-buckthorn oil protects against infections, prevents allergies, eliminates inflammation and inhibits the aging process. (source)
Baobab seed oil: Like Evening Primrose Oil, Baobab seed oil is a rich source of omega fatty acids and anti-oxidants that can help fight inflammation and free-radicals. (source) while it may simultaneously help preserve collagen, which may be helpful for for extra-sensitive or inflamed skin. (source)
Like Sea Buckthorn seed oil, Baobab seed oil is rich in vitamin C, having 7-10 times more Vitamin C than an orange, as well as vitamin E (mixed tocopherols), both of which may help soften and soothe eczema prone skin. (source)
Neem: The neem tree a.k.a the Indian Lilac tree, is revered in India and has a long history of being used medicinally in both China and India. The leaves contain plant compounds called flavonoids and polyphenols, which have antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and antibacterial properties on the skin. (source 1, source 2, Source 3, Source 4).
It's seeds and leaves are rich in vitamin E, fatty acids (palmitic, oleic and linoleic), key to improving the elasticity of the skin and keeping the moisture barrier intact. Anti-fungal, neem is especially beneficial in fighting against fungal infection, protecting skin by keeping the harmful bacteria and fungi at bay. Certain compounds in neem oil may promote blood vessel and connective tissue growth, thus enhancing quick wound healing without raised scars and the development of stronger and more resilient tissue at the site of the wound. source 1, source 2, Source 3, Source 4).
Moringa seed oil (Moringa Olifeira): Often called the tree of life since all parts of it- the bark, the leaves and seeds have therapeutic properties. Treasured above all, the oil, also called Ben or Behen oil, has long been used in West Africa for food and medicine. (source) Rich in vitamins B and C, this oil has been shown to exhibit nourishing and conditioning properties, and encourage cell turnover of the skin, thereby potentially helping to minimize the appearance of the signs of aging, such as wrinkles, and to possibly enhance the complexion’s radiance and graceful aging. (source)
Yarrow (Achillea millefolium) essential oil: The ancient Greek hero Achilles is said to have used yarrow in battles to help his wounded soldiers, which is where it derives it's latin plant nomenclature from. It's notable blue colour is due to 'chamazulene' a sesquiterpene that exhibits anti-inflammatory and antispasmodic properties and gives this essential oil it's beautiful blue colour and may help support eczema prone skin. (source)
Basil (Ocimum basilicum) essential oil: Used medicinally, basil's anti-inflammatory properties are reputed to help support eczema afflicted skin and soothe sores as well as minor abrasions. (source)
*except rosehip seed oil from Chile.
Helianthus annus (sunflower) seed oil, Rasa Canina (Rosehip seed oil), Echinacea purpurea, Calendula officinalis, Althaea officinalis (marshmallow, root), Plantago major (plantain), Symphytum officinalis (comfrey), Botyrospermum parkii (shea) butter, Cocos nucifera (cocoa) butter, Cera alba (beeswax)**, Zinc oxide, Ricins communis (castor) seed oil, Oenethra biennis (evening primrose) oil, Persea Americana (avocado seed) oil, Moringa olifeira seed oil, Cannabis sativa (hemp) seed oil, Azadirachta indica (Neem) oil, Hippophae rhammnoides (sea buckthorn) seed oil, Adansonia digitatis (baobab) seed oil, Achillea millefollium (yarrow) essential oil, Ocimum basilicum (basil) essential oil, vitamin E. **Local, unrefined, premium grade Ontario beeswax.
WHAT IT'S FORMULATED WITHOUT: The "Mean 15", Petroleum and petroleum by products, coconut oil, palm oil, lanolin, talc, synthetic colourants, synthetic fragrance, parabens, pthalates, propylene glycol, triclosan, 100% aluminum-free, petroleum, sulfates SLS and SLES, formaldehydes, formaldehyde-releasing agents, mineral oil, retinyl palmitate, oxybenzone, coal tar, hydroquinone, triclocarban.
WHAT IT'S NOT IN: Another plastic bottle! Only the cap on this bottle is made from plastic, the rest is made from glass. Please consider reusing this bottle before cleaning and/ chucking it into the recycling bin.