Whatever your sport, when you give it your all, your muscles can feel fatigued, strained, overworked and achey. Kavana's Phyto-5 Muscle Balm is an aromatherapeutic balm, specially formulated with these muscles in mind.
Massage this balm over tired muscles and then follow up with an even more aromatherapeutic experience by taking a hot shower post-workout. The steam may assist in spreading the volatile essential oils, increasing the sensorial experience as you inhale.
Kavana's Phyto-5 Muscle Balm is powered by Phyto 5, a blend of five plant oils including calendula, comfrey, echinacea, plantain and rosehip seed oils, macerated in Sunflower oil.
It also includes:
- pine resin known to exhibit warming and stimulating properties, it may help promote circulation and speed up wound healing. (source)
- Sweet almond oil rich in Vitamins A & E, fatty acids and Zinc, this micro- nutrient profile makes this oil beneficial for the skin. (source)
- Phyto-5: 5 plants, including calendula, comfrey, echinacea, plantain and rosehip seed oil, macerated in Sunflower oil. See more below, in the KNOW MORE section.
- Certified pure, therapeutic grade essential oils of clove, ginger, black pepper, eucalyptus and peppermint may exhibit warming and cooling properties on the skin.
SKIN TYPE: All skin types, especially good for tired or sore muscles.
GLUTEN-FREE | NON-TOXIC | CRUELTY-FREE | NON-NANO | GMO FREE
Handmade in Toronto, Canada with non-toxic, premium ingredients. Help minimize plastic pollution by choosing Kavana's elegant, easily cleaned and reusable/ recyclable frosted glass and aluminum options.
Volume: 30gr/ 1oz.
Packaged in a refillable and sleek, round aluminum tin, this muscle balm is lightweight to carry in your gym bag or keep by your nightstand.
HOW TO USE:
Apply externally as needed onto tired muscles. This may help provide relief for injury and inflammation. Once applied, an aromatherapeutic experience can be enjoyed in the shower, where the sensorial power of volatile essential oils in Kavana Phyto-5 Muscle Balm can be augmented.
Keep out of reach of children. For topical use only. Do not apply to broken skin or open wounds. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
The essential oils in this formula must be kept out of and off of/ way from eyes, nose, ears, and any sensitive, broken or chapped skin. Please consult your physician with any concerns you have prior to using Kavana Phyto-5 Muscle Balm. Do not use Kavana Phyto-5 Muscle Balm if you are pregnant or nursing.
Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower )oil, Sweet Almond Oil, Pinus Sylvestris (Pine Resin)*, Rosa canina seed oil, Cera Alba (Beeswax)**, Rosemary oleoresin, certified pure, therapeutic grade essential oils of: Eucalyptus globulus, Eugenia carophyllata (clove), Mentha piperita (Peppermint), Piper nigrum (Black pepper) and Zingiber officinale (Ginger).
*wildcrafted from majestic, Canadian pine trees.
** lovingly, hand harvested from local, Ontario bees.
PINE RESIN: Tree sap/ resin is produced by trees to act as a sealant for the trees' physical wounds. It directs resin through ducts to ward off bacteria and fungus and insect invasions, trapping invaders and acting as an antimicrobial to eradicate them. (source1, source2)
Conscientiously wild-harvested to not interfere with the tree's own attempts at staying healthy, the pine resin in Kavana's Muscle Balm is gathered from extrusions below the trees' wounds. Due to its warming and stimulating nature, pine resin balm may be the ultimate ingredient in a soothing and warming rub for sore muscles and painful joints. Pine resin has been used by Indigenous Peoples of North America for millennia, to patch and protect wounds and draw out impurities. (source).
Phyto-5 complexe is a blend of extracts from five plants known to exhibit healing properties and that have been used for millennia to help with skin healing and protection. Wildcrafted in Ontario, Canada*, these plants benefit the skin most by acting in concert, which may help reduce trans-epidermal water loss, boost collagen, potentially calm inflammation and deeply nourish the skin.
*With the exception of rosehip seed oil from Chile
1.Rosehip (Rosa canina) seed oil is rich in both polyphenols and anthocyanins, which may help reduce inflammation. (source) It also contains vitamin E, an antioxidant known for an anti-inflammatory effect that may help ease muscle and join pain. (source)
2.Plantain (Plantago major), in particular, plantain leaves, contain several anti-inflammatory compounds, including flavonoids, terpenoids, glycosides, and tannins, antioxidant, analgesic, immune-modulatory, anti-ulceration, and weak antibiotic activities, which may decrease several markers of inflammation.(source)
3.Comfrey (Symphytum officinale), was once commonly called "Knitbone" because of its amazing ability to heal broken bones and “knit” them back together again. The botanical name, 'Symphytum', means “to unite.” It been used as a traditional medicinal plant for the treatment of painful muscle and joints complaints for centuries. (source) It's analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties, along with it's ability to stimulate granulation and tissue regeneration, are thanks to a cell proliferant compound called 'allantoin', which is found in the leaves and roots. (source) Rosmarinic acid and glycopeptides found in the roots have also been shown to possess anti-inflammatory activity, making comfrey an essential ingredient in this muscle balm. (source)
4. Echinacea (Echinacea purpurea). Derived from the Greek word for hedgehog 'echinos' because it's prickly scales and cone shaped seed head resemble a hedgehog, echinacea's anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory properties have been appreciated since ancient times. (source) Thanks to a multitude of acids (Chicoric, caffeic, chlorogenic and caftaric) and it's high anti-oxidant content and polyphenolic compounds, echinacea has been show to exhibit properties that may support joint health in the face of free radical-induced stressors. (source)
5. Calendula (Calendula officinalis) Anti-inflammatory and analgesic effects of calendula may be related to the content of flavonoids and tri-terpene derivatives found in it's flowers.(source) Extracts of this beautiful orange-yellow flower are often indicated as a classic, gentle muscle relief, for those frequently performing strenuous exercise.
Kavana's signature essential oil blend, includes clove, ginger and black pepper, eucalyptus globulus and peppermint, which have been known to exhibit warming and cooling effects on the skin.
WHAT IT'S FORMULATED WITHOUT: Petroleum and petroleum by products, lanolin, talc, synthetic colourants, synthetic fragrance, parabens, pthalates, triclosan, 100% aluminum-free, propylene glycol, Sulfates SLS and SLES, formaldehydes, formaldehyde-releasing agents, mineral oil, paraffin, retinyl palmitate, oxybenzone, coal tar, hydroquinone, triclocarban.
WHAT IT'S NOT IN: Packaged in a lightweight, biodegradable aluminum tin, not another plastic jar.